Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Journey in USHER...

~ Christopher, C5, Warriors ~

I remembered begin deployed into usher ministry in the last few days of Henderson, just before hoGc moved over to FTMS. Actually, I did not even consider about Usher Ministry when my leader asked me about which ministry I would like to serve in. Therefore, I was quite disappointed when I was informed that I had been selected to be in the Usher Ministry.

But right now, that first disappointment has changed into excitement and eventually into commitment.

My first duty was a long time ago, but I remembered that it was the first few services over at FTMS that I began to really enjoy ushering. It was really fun and exciting to set up chairs, prepare the auditorium, ushering people into their seats and in the midst of all these, fellowshipping and bonding with my fellow ushers. The moment of disappointment has transformed into a momentum of serving driven by excitement.

During that time, we had a small room to ourselves and everyone cramped into it where we had our briefings, debriefings and also loads of fun. But more than all the fun, this small room which could only contain around 20 ushers at its maximum capacity, would be the launch pad of a much greater destiny that God had set before hoGc Usher Minstry.

Why was this small room such a significant to all the ushers and even myself who had stepped into it? It was a place where I had fellowship with ushers from different CGs, different zones and made many new friends in church. But more importantly, it was a place of discipleship, where I learnt not just ushering skills, but having a heart for others and also how to be a thinker, and not just a robot following instructions. I really drew a lot out of people like Roy, who was the Head Usher then and the Chief Ushers like Jian Ming, Pei Shan, Jeremy and Cherie.

It’s great to have the skills e.g. setting up chairs, communication and etc, but the backbone of our skills must be a heart for others and putting them, the congregation in our own shoes.

After ushering for a few months, the excitement that drives me to usher has began to lose its momentum, the things that I did in usher seems to be routines that are so repetitive and boring. I knew I would not last long if I only serve out of excitement and fun.

This was then when I learnt about commitment, to be dedicated and devoted to serve as an usher. God used the lives of my Chief Ushers and 2nd ICs to reveal to me the importance of being committed, seeing them doing the same thing over and over again, but still with the smile on their faces and the love for others made me want to do the same as well. Eventually the excitement began to work its way into a movement of commitment.

I had a dream to become a 2nd IC as well during the time at FTMS and Jian Ming told me that I need to see myself as one and to carry myself as one. And I engraved this deeply in my heart. I began to think like a 2nd IC and I tried my best to support my Chief Ushers in every duty I did. And this is how I rise up to become a Section Leader now. I want to encourage every usher; the Key is to see yourself as a Section Leader even though you are just an ordinary crew.


An ordinary crew that sees himself/herself as a Section Leader will become extraordinary crew. And soon an extraordinary crew will rise up to become a Section Leader. Amen!

My journey in usher has truly been life changing and it will continue to be now and also in the future. Know that when you usher people into their destiny, you will also usher yourself into your destiny that God has planned for you.

Usher 2.0
Christopher

No comments: