Friday, June 22, 2007

A Story

Hi Ushers,

Heard from Wei Chao about this blog. He ask to share about our dreams for the future. So.. I guess it's good to share how I feel about usher ministry and where it brought me.

Usher ministry was my first ministry in church, it's a place where I pick up the heart of serving. Here it's a journary to pick up traits, character, attitude and passion from the people around you. Not only you get to learn from your Head Usher and Chief Usher, you get to learn from your fellow usher crew as well.

In the being of usher, I start off to be lead by Koon Yew. That time Roy was leading as a head usher. I then learn from Roy the submisive heart when he shared with me an example what happens when the hands and legs doesn't listen to the head. All things will start to go wrong, that where I learn to obey instructions carefully.

From Koon Yew, I learn the heart of being detailed. I remembered last time, there was a mounting board that has a layout of the church. Koon Yew will always pick the names, place them on the board and explain the positions to us. He could have just pointed the positions and tell us where we should go. Instead, he always find the names of the ushers from a plastic bag where everyone's name are being mixed around and stick them on the board.

Then it goes on to Noni. He had a great passion to serve, from his stories I caught the heart of serving. Pastor once shared that before the renovations for FTMS was completed. The toilet was in a mess and no one clean it. But Noni took the intiative and clean it up. That was the amazing thing, he could have choose not to do it. But because the heart to serve is there, no matter what task it is. The hands will be willing to complete it.

Next it was Pei Shan. She was focus about pray up, that's where the usher beyond of only performing tasks to operating in the spirit. From Pei Shan I learn the importance of praying up before service. Prayer kick start our sprirtual engines, when we pray up before we usher. Our sense will be sharper towards the people who need us to brighten our day. Just because of a prayer, your alertness to turn toward a new friend, look him or her in the eye and smile can make a big difference.

I caught the heart of giving best from Jian Ming. He never give second best to God, he always taught us that if we are to serve God half-heartedly during a service. It is better that we don't serve at all. From him I saw the importance of giving my best, if we are giving our best. We would not forgot to bring things, wear the wrong attire, don't smile... God has given us His best, and we should give our best to Him as well.

Hunger to serve was found in two girls, one was Hwee Yee and the other was Alexander. Rememeber that once Alexander face major PO, that means she can't even serve in usher. But she want it so badly, she thought of a plan; she will ask a friend to bring the clothes for her to church and after that her friend will once again bring it home to wash for her. She could have become a regular sunday/satuday christian. But she choose not to. Same for Hwee Yee, there was a time, she got major PO and she could only come for service sometimes, but whenever she got a chance. She will sneak out during the day she is on duty and do usher.

Faithfulness was to be found in Ah Cai, Gang Yuan and Jacky. They had been the church for the longest period and never once their passion to serve died off. Faithfulness is found when you are doing the same thing over and over again without losing the passion for it.

This jounary to learn and serve still goes on and there are still many thing wait for me to learn and waiting for you to learn as well. It's a matter of observing and discovering, everyone has something special waitting to be given to others. Have the wanting to learn from them and you will find it from them...

For me, I don't have a specfic dream that I want to reach and go to. But I do know one thing that I want to do, if there is a need for me to help I will help. If I have the ability to do it, I will do it. But if I don't have, walk in faith and God will help.

Bursting On
Miaow Guan

No comments: